Copy machine ignites inside post office

From the Tampa Tribune:

ZEPHYRHILLS – A Friday night fire caused the Zephyrhills Post Office to close Saturday. Foul play isn’t suspected.

A relatively small fire at the Zephyrhills Post Office Friday evening caused considerable smoke damage to the building, fire officials said Saturday.

Zephyrhills fire units were called to the scene shortly after 9 p.m. after a photocopy machine caught fire inside the post office, said State Fire Marshal R.S. Chrzanowski.

Firefighters needed only a few minutes to extinguish the blaze, said Zephyrhills Fire Capt. Scott Donovan.

The blaze was confined to the copy machine, which was in a hallway, and an adjacent wall. But before the fire was out, smoke spread to about three-quarters of the building, causing considerable damage, officials said.

“[Smoke damage] is very extensive,” Donovan said.

Air-conditioning and heating ducts near the fire allowed smoke to travel quickly throughout the building, Chrzanowski said.

Chrzanowski said the fire appeared to have been an accident, caused by an electrical problem with the copy machine.

A sign outside the post office Saturday stated that no mail had been damaged, but that the lobby was temporarily closed. The post office normally is open from 7:30 a.m. to noon on Saturdays.