Thursday, September 29th, 2011
That’s the impression given by this recent tweet:
Darrell pretends to be ignorant of a couple of facts-
- The political contributions dispensed by labor union PACs come from voluntary contributions from members, not union dues
- The current APWU ad campaign is supported by a dues increase that was publicly announced by the elected representatives of the APWU membership. The members elected the leadership and gave them the authority to make that call- if the members aren’t happy with that, they can vote the leadership out.
- Unlike Darrell Issa, postal workers are not allowed to use taxpayer dollars to get their point across- they use the money they earn by actually working
- “Big Labor” is a term the right wing likes to use to make unions sound just as bad as Big Business- it ignores the simple fact that labor unions are organizations whose leaders are elected by the members, supported by the members’ dues.
- Darrell also ignores the simple fact that union members probably contribute more money to right wing politicians involuntarily- for example, every time they buy “Brawny” paper towels, “Angel Soft” toilet paper, and a host of other products sold by the Koch Brothers, some of that money ends up in the hands of the Tea Party “movement”. That’s the real scandal, not the money postal workers contribute voluntarily to protect their jobs.
I think I prefer fake Darrell: