WASHINGTON — Effective Nov.15, Post Offices will begin accepting packages containing lithium batteries installed in electronic devices bound for many international destinations, and Army (APO), Fleet (FPO) and Diplomatic Post Office (DPO) locations.
“The Postal Service is pleased to be back in the business of shipping gifts containing lithium batteries internationally and to our service members overseas,” said Giselle Valera, vice president, Global Business. “Postal employees are gearing up for a busy holiday season, and we’re ready to help customers send care packages to loved ones around the world.”
Easy, convenient, multi-lingual and always at the fingertips, usps.com has a complete suite of tools to help with shipping gifts containing lithium batteries:
- APO/FPO/DPO Mailing Guidelines: www.usps.com/send/apo.htm
- Preparing International Mail Shipments: www.usps.com/send/prepare-international-shipments.htm
- Free Shipping Supplies: www.prioritymail.com/freesupplies.asp
- Create Package Labels: cns.usps.com/go
- Fill Out Customs Forms Online: usps.com/ship/customs-forms.htm
- Pay For Postage Online with Click-N-Ship: reg.usps.com/entreg/RegistrationAction!input.action
- Request Free Package Pickup: tools.usps.com/go/ScheduleAPickupAction!input.action
- International Holiday Shipping/Mailing Dates: www.usps.com/shippingdates/welcome.htm
“The Postal Service is always working to make package shipping more and more convenient,” said Valera. “Customers can visit the Post Office that’s always open, 24/7, usps.com, to ship holiday care packages without ever having to leave the comfort of home or office.”
The Postal Service has been recognized for excellence in international package delivery performance and international call center service by the Universal Postal Union’s Express Mail Service (EMS) Cooperative Network with the 2011 EMS Performance Award, silver level category, and the 2011 EMS Customer Care Award, large group category. The Postal Service also won the 2010 EMS Performance Award, silver level, and the 2009 EMS Performance Award, bronze level.