Possible early out information?Friday, January 21st, 2011
We generally ignore the barrage of early out and buyout rumors that have been a constant on message boards (including our own) for as long as I can remember. This post from Federal Soup, however, sounds pretty plausible in light of recent statements by the PMG:
from a NAPS AVP:
OPM approved United States Postal Service VERA and Retirement Processing for 80,000 eligible Civil Service and Federal Employee Retirement Service employees. With roll out of Area EAS 8% staff reductions and later District EAS 8% staff reductions, VERA will be available for applying on or after March 2011. Effective drop date of VERA is July 2011, August 2011, September 2011, and October 2011. The drop month is determined by your work location and reduction in force notification. VERA will be available for PCES, EAS and Craft employees in “targeted” areas. No “buy out” authorized for USPS.
– Third round of Station, Branch, Finance Station closures due out in FY 2011.
– First announcement of Associate Post Office closures due out in FY 2011.
– First announcement of Processing and Distribution Center closures due out in FY 2011.
– Four Districts will be consolidated in FY 2011.
– Congressional opposition is expected due to loss of local tax base; contract jobs (many in maintenance), and local constituents.