September 10, 2019
Effective September 30, the Postal Service will implement an improved process for shipping Cremated Remains.
Currently, customers can ship Cremated Remains without visible markings. This has resulted in damage during processing and untimely deliveries. The new process for mailing Cremated Remains will enhance the shipping process and create a better experience for our customers.
Introducing new requirements for shipping Cremated Remains increases visibility making the mailing process more secure through the postal network.
The following steps have been taken to improve visibility of these shipments during processing and transportation.
- Customers shipping Cremated Remains (human and animal ashes), both Domestic and International, must use Priority Mail Express (PME) service only.
- Cremated Remains packages mailed via the Priority Mail Express service will be limited to only four shipping options:
- Signature Required
- Signature Waived
- Return Receipt and
- Additional Insurance
- Label 139, Cremated Remains
- Kit 1 – PME Cremated Remains Box with a roll of PME tape
- Kit 2 – PME Cremated Remains Kit – which includes the PME Cremated Remains Box, A roll of PME tape, a self-sealing plastic bag, bubble cushioning, and a copy of Publication 139, How to Package and Ship Cremated Remains
Please direct any questions to ShippingServices@usps.gov.