INDIAN ORCHARD, Mass. (WWLP) – Four people were taken to the hospital after a chemical spill at the U.S. Postal Service’s bulk mail center in Springfield early Friday morning.
Dennis Leger, aide to the Springfield Fire Commissioner, told 22News that firefighters were called to the center at 190 Fiberloid Street in Indian Orchard shortly before 12:30 A.M. Leger says that about one gallon of oxalis acid, an industrial cleaner, had been spilled.
Just before 1:00 P.M., the Department of Fire Service’s Hazardous Materials Team was called in to help clean things up. Crews remained there working until about 6:00 A.M.