LOS ANGELES (KABC) — Each morning the envelopes get sorted as Christine Garcia prepares for her route in Whittier.
The deliveries came to a sudden and urgent stop a few weeks ago when she sensed trouble at a home on Tigrina Avenue.
“As soon as I dropped off the mail, I smelled smoke, I heard the smoke detector going off, I banged on the door, but there was no response,” Garcia said. Garcia called for help, and firefighters rushed to the scene. They found an elderly woman inside the home who had fallen, and food on a stove sparked a kitchen fire.