The House Oversight Committee will hold a hearing on Tuesday, February 7 at 10AM ET to consider the latest postal “reform” bill.
From the Committee announcement:
- To examine the need for timely and comprehensive postal reform legislation.
- To discuss provisions that stakeholders believe are necessary in a comprehensive reform bill.
- USPS reported a net loss of $5.3 billion for FY2016, representing the tenth consecutive year of net losses.
- USPS has more than $120 billion in unfunded liabilities, including a $21.3 billion pension funding shortfall.
- USPS has been unable to make statutorily required payments to unfunded liabilities and is poised to run increasingly large operational deficits in the coming years, having already exhausted its $15 billion in statutory borrowing authority.
The Honorable Megan J. Brennan
United States Postal Service
The Honorable Robert G. Taub
Postal Regulatory Commission
Ms. Lori Rectanus
Director, Physical Infrastructure Issues
U.S. Government Accountability Office
Mr. Arthur Sackler
Coalition for a 21st Century Postal Service
Mr. Fredric V. Rolando
National Association of Letter Carriers