To help restore delivery of mail and parcels to displaced residents of Fort McMurray, Anzac and Fort MacKay as soon as possible, Canada Post has put emergency measures in place. Residents can register at any post office across the country or online. Details below:
To help reconnect displaced residents with the postal system as quickly as possible, we are asking them to register for our Mail Forwarding service. This is an important service not just for ongoing mail and parcels, but it also provides a vital link with government and relief agencies going forward.
By registering, Canada Post will be able to ship mail and parcels to a different address selected by the customer, as well as reprocess and ship existing mail and parcels. This can be done on a short-term basis or for longer periods, even if the address is temporary.
All Fort McMurray residents with Postal Codes starting with the following 3 digits are eligible for the service: T9H, T9J and T9K. As well, affected residents of Anzac from Postal Code T0P 1J0 and Fort MacKay residents with the Postal Code T0P 1C0 are also eligible.
To register for the Mail Forwarding service:
- For impacted residents with a credit card and government-issued ID bearing an eligible postal code:
- Go online at canadapost.ca/mailforward. Note that you will have to provide a credit card payment in order to authenticate the transaction but you will be refunded in 5-10 business days. We apologize for this inconvenience, but to make this available quickly, we have had to take this approach.
- Go to any post office in Alberta or across the country. You will not be required to show a credit card, just your government-issued ID. Retail employees will help you with the process, which is free of charge.
- For impacted residents with a government-issued ID bearing an eligible postal code, but no credit card:
- Go to any post office in Alberta or across the country. Retail employees will help you with the process, which is free of charge.
- For impacted residents with no government-issued ID or credit card:
- Call our customer service line at 1-866-607-6301. Our customer service agents will help you with the validation process. There will be no fee charged.
If any affected resident requires urgent access to critical items, such as medications or passports, please call 1 800 267-1177. If residents are looking for a secure place to send any future items they purchase online, they can also sign up for the Flex Delivery service for free, which will allow them to send all future online purchases to a post office of their choosing.