MEMPHIS — Yesterday thousands of fans witnessed Priscilla Presley and Postmaster General Megan Brennan dedicate the Music Icons Elvis Presley Forever stamp on the front lawn of his home in Memphis — Graceland — as part of this year’s Elvis Week celebration. The Elvis Presley stamp is now on sale at Post Offices nationwide.
Fans who attended the official first-day-of-issue stamp dedication ceremony also heard a new version of Elvis Presley’s inspiring song “If I Can Dream.” Fans can follow the social media conversation, or tweet and post about the stamp and the new song themselves using the hashtag #ElvisForever.
Also, in conjunction with Sony Music’s RCA/Legacy Recordings, a CD of 18 Presley hits titled “Elvis Presley Forever” was exclusively released through the Postal Service. The CD includes a brand new version of “If I Can Dream” plus an additional previously unreleased song. Fans can get “Elvis Presley Forever” for $9.99 at select Post Offices. Both the CD and the stamps can be ordered online.
“It’s impossible to think about music today without rock and roll, or to think of rock and roll without Elvis Presley,” said Brennan. Elvis Presley inspired millions to challenge the boundaries of expression. For that, we honor the musical icon who brightened our culture with his talent, his passion and his voice.”
“On behalf of Lisa and the entire Presley family, we thank the United States Postal Service for this tremendous honor,” said Priscilla Presley. “We know what a rare tribute it is to receive a second stamp and we’re so pleased to debut it here at Graceland. Elvis would have been thrilled. I’ll never forget the excitement we all felt surrounding the 1993 stamp when over 1.2 million people voted on the image, and to know that the first stamp is still the most popular U.S. commemorative stamp of all time makes it all the more special. It’s fitting that this new stamp is a ‘Forever’ stamp, because Elvis is forever in our hearts and in the hearts of millions of his fans around the world.”
Many Post Offices will be celebrating Presley’s legacy through local special dedication ceremonies. Following is a list of events scheduled to-date.
- Aug. 13, 11 a.m., Elvis Presley’s Birthplace and Museum, Tupelo, MS 38801
- Aug. 14, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Occidental Post Office, Occidental, CA 95465
- Aug. 14, noon, Kilmer Post Office, 21 Kilmer Rd., Edison, NJ 08899
- Aug. 15, 11 a.m. Columbia Philatelic Society at the Spring Valley High School, 120 Sparkleberry Lane, Columbia, SC 29229
- Aug. 27, 10 a.m. to noon, St. Louis Post Office, 1720 Market St., St. Louis, MO 63155
- Sept. 12, Bailey, NC, 27807, time TBD
- Sept. 18, 10 am, Guitar Walk at Cavenaugh Park, U.S. Highway 67, Walnut Ridge, AR 72476
In early June, Brennan announced that the King of Rock ‘n’ Roll™ will be immortalized on a stamp. The stamp image was previewed in early July. The stamps are part of the Postal Service’s “Music Icons” series, and feature 16 stamps in panes designed to suggest a classic 45 RPM record sleeve.
Orders for the Elvis Presley stamps or stamp items can be submitted via one of the methods listed below:
- Fax the order to 816-545-1201
- This is the only ordering method for customers purchasing with a credit card. This fax number is a secure phone line.
- Mail the order to:
- Stamp Fulfillment Services
- PO Box 7247
- Philadelphia PA 19101-7103
- Reminder – the payment must be equivalent to U.S. currency.
- Call the order to Stamp Fulfillment Services at 816-545-1000
- Long distance toll fees may apply
- Hours of operation are 7:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Central Daylight Time
- Existing international customers can Email orders to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please refrain from including credit card information.
International customers ordering the Elvis Presley stamps or stamp items should include the item number(s) and quantities.
How to Order the First-Day-of-Issue Postmark
Customers have 60 days to obtain the first-day-of-issue postmark by mail. They may purchase new stamps at their local Post Office, at The Postal Store website at usps.com/shop, or by calling 800-STAMP-24. They should affix the stamps to envelopes of their choice, address the envelopes (to themselves or others), and place them in larger envelopes addressed to:
Elvis Presley Stamp
555 South 3rd Street, Rm 7306
Memphis, TN, 38101-9998
After applying the first-day-of-issue postmark, the Postal Service will return the envelopes through the mail. There is no charge for the postmark up to a quantity of 50. There is a 5-cent charge for each additional postmark over 50. All orders must be postmarked by Oct. 11, 2015.
Ordering First-Day Covers
The Postal Service also offers first-day covers for new stamp issues and Postal Service stationery items postmarked with the official first-day-of-issue cancellation. Each item has an individual catalog number and is offered in the quarterly USA Philatelic catalog, online atusps.com/shop, or by calling 800-782-6724. Customers may request a free catalog by calling 800-782-6724 or writing to:
U.S. Postal Service
PO Box 219014
Kansas City, MO 64121-9014
There are 13 philatelic products for this stamp issue:
589015, Keepsake (pane of 16 with Digital Color Postmark) $ 9.95.
589016, First-Day Cover single $0.93
589018, First-Day Cover Full Pane $10.34.
589019, Cancelled Full Pane $ 10.34.
589021, Digital Color Postmark single $1.64.
589023, Framed Art Small $ 19.95.
589024, Framed Art $ 39.95.
589027, The Forever Elvis Collection Folio $ 24.95.
589030, Ceremony Program $6.95.
589031, Stamped Deck Card $0.95.
589032, Stamped Deck Card with Digital Color Postmark $1.99.